One of the best accessories to a little black dress is a dramatic red lip. But if you’ve ever tired pulling off red lipstick, you know that your lip stain may start as a chic makeup statement but can end up looking like messy clown makeup. You don’t have to be makeup guru or celebrity to pull off this timeless look. So if you want to add fiery cherry or glossy crimson lipstick into your makeup routine, here’s seven tips to pull off red lipstick.
- If you’re lips are feeling dry or cracked, you’ll need to give them a little extra attention before you apply lipstick. Because red lipstick can really exaggerate the look of dry and chapped lips, start by exfoliating your pout with an extra soft toothbrush and rub a lip scrub or eye lotion. Just be sure to wipe off completely before you being applying your makeup.
- Prime your lips by applying power foundation or concealer to your lips. This will help lock in color and keep the color looking fresh.
- To keep the red lipstick from bleeding, use a pencil liner around your lips. Try to get a liner that matches your lipstick or is close to matching. Make sure the liner is sharp!
- Make an “x” on your cupid’s bow with the liner to really define the look of your upper lip. Finish by filling in your lips with the liner.
- Apply your lipstick and gently blot your lips with a tissue to prevent smudging. Don’t forget between your lips. You don’t want lipstick on your teeth!
- Once your lipstick is applied, a few dabs of concealer around your lips will make your lips really pop and helps to clean up smudges.
- When you need to reapply, don’t just layer on the lipstick. Put a little loose transparent powder on your lips before you pucker up and reapply your lipstick.